Sunday, August 28, 2011

New Stuff

It took a conversation after worship with Dave H. to help me realize that I have been touched by miracles this week.  Probably the most awesome thing was what happened to a homeless couple I met a couple weeks ago. 

I met Rob and Lisa about three weeks ago when I ran into them walking the streets.  They were out of work and so had lost their place.  On top of that, Rob, who does carpentry, had his tools stolen, which is along story.  The couple was in the process of suing to get the tools, but things were just not going their way.  I saw this couple a few other times and spoke with them to find that their lot had not changed.  Imagine my joy when I saw them this week and they told me that they had a place to stay!  Granted, they still struggle, but, as Lisa put it, "God is helping us and it's just a matter of time.".  This is a miracle.

Everyday I am talking to people who struggle with difficulties, but they are not beaten.  I talk to felons who can't get a job but keep trying.  I talk to people who live in neighborhoods plagued by crime but are not willing to leave.  I talk to people who are discriminated, marginalized and silenced: down but not out.  The majority of people I talk to have a faith that God has not deserted them and that God is present in their lives.  This is the miracle!  God touches peoples' lives so that even in the valley they rely upon the divine presence.

Society is quick to discount those who have less and by the world's definition are less.  Even the church forgets that this was the group of people to which Jesus ministered.  Christians love success stories and even those who are in the process of change, but we have a hard time meeting those who are in the depths.  We feel a lot more comfortable with people who share our values and goals in life, people who are doing what we thing they ought.  Our perceptions are conformed, not transformed.

I pray that God touches my heart so that when I talk to anyone they see Jesus in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment