Monday, September 5, 2011

Vision quest

I had a good week running around the neighborhood, but, once again, I felt drawn to the Keller Park area.  I spent time helping Mack repair his garage, since he's physically not able to do that.  I talked to a young guy who had his clothes taken by a guy who was allowed to move into the home but turned out to be a gang-banger and thug.  I had no money and no way of helping this guy; it occurred to me how resource poor this area is.

I had time to sit with Gene a little on Friday and he suggested that I do some work on a vision for the ministry.  He mentioned and I re-read Habakkuk today.  "Though it tarry's, wait for it." resonates with me.  I have been praying for this vision and waiting for it, but I still feel very unsure about the whole thing.  I've generated a list of projects and talked to a lot of people to get their impression so I need to let this steep.  My friend suggested I give it 40 days which would take me to the 9th of this month.  I don't like to give God a deadline, but maybe it's me that needs this deadline.

I spent the day doing a lot of reading on casting visions and so on, but there's not a lot to read about this.  I feel like my situation is so unique that what is written doesn't apply.  On the other hand, I know that's just not so and I continue to look for Biblical examples that are similar to my situation.  I started reading Jeremiah because I have a sense of being unsupported in this ministry.  Don't get me wrong, I know there are people I can touch for emotional support, but there aren't too many to walk with me.  I sort of sense that God sent me out to develop a community or identify others to walk with me in that task.  I just feels like a big job.

As I think about the coming week I think about how I can work on this vision.  I know I'm going to have to spend time in prayer and meditation, but that's hard because it's not really "doing" anything.  It's hard for me to shake that impulse to do rather than simply spend time with God.  I don't have a prayer closet or a place in which I feel especially close to God.  I need to develop such a place or mind-set here in MI.  I know that prayer and meditation are vital disciplines to my ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment