Monday, August 22, 2011

Making Contacts

The last week of community ministry has been pretty inspiring.  I met with a couple of pastors who have hearts for community ministry.  It was a pleasure talking with guys who are so missional but grounded in the Word as well.  Some doors are opening and I continue to pray for discernment.

I met today with a guy who would like to do a bi-racial church plant.  This man has connections in the neighborhood and this seems to be a beneficial relationship for both of us.  A difficulty is that the churches I'm working with are not so excited to share their worship space with another congregation.  I am enthused to consider preaching and teaching with this guy and starting something new that isn't being done in South Bend.  However, I have been a pastor long enough to realize how attached congregations can become to their buildings.  I pray that God will make God's will known so that this gets worked out.

In conversation with one of these ministers it was pointed out to me that I might be overextending.  I am concerned that the two churches feel a part of this ministry and I feel as if I have been focusing primarily on the more southern part of the area.  The area to the north is more affluent and I think there is less need, but I am making that assumption without speaking to folks.  My intention is to begin to invest some more time in the northern part of the territory.

I made multiple phone calls today and I'm trying to get together with the area pastors.  I don't know who would be interested in partnering up, but we will see.  I've made some appointments, but I've also left a lot of messages.

It seems to me that God is active in this ministry.  God is moving things in such a way that ministry opportunities are present.  I think this brings folks up to date and so I'm going to slow the frequency of posts to weekly now.

Oh, I got a call to discuss and interim position.  The position would be 2/3rds time in a church about an hour from Niles.  It was a temptation to accept this call, but I ended up saying no.  I don't know this sort of temptation is happening at this time.  Depending on your pneumatology, one could see this as the intervention of evil to frustrate the work of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment